In 2017 alone, authorities report a total of 219,112 auto accidents involving at least 357,843 people in the state of Indiana. Vehicle-related fatalities reached 911- up 10% from 2016. Thousands of injuries related to these auto accidents also occurred.
Karpe Litigation Group knows that an injury as a result of an auto accident can have a huge impact on your life. More than healing from the injuries, you are trying to cope with your ability to go to work, pay medical bills, care for your family, manage your home and handle all your finances. It can be a highly stressful time, and we pride ourselves on being there for you to remove some of the stress.
The auto accident and injury lawyers at Karpe Litigation assist vehicular accident victims in navigating the intricacies of getting the financial recovery they deserve with professionalism and understanding. Our entire team of caring, experienced trial attorneys and attentive support staff act as advocates for you during what can be an incredibly difficult time.
The Most Common Causes of Indiana Auto Accidents
Across the nation, the main causes of auto accidents remains fairly consistent. One of the most common causes of accidents in Indiana is speeding. This alone accounts for 8.4% of total accidents in 2017 – accidents that are completely preventable.
Other major causes of auto accidents include:
- Driving while impaired – under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol
- Inclement weather and poor road conditions
- Driving while tired or fatigued
- Aggressive driving behavior
- Collisions with wildlife, i.e. deer, birds and other animals
- Distracted driving, especially cell phone use
Distracted driving is an increasingly common issue as cell phone usage becomes more and more prevalent. More people rely on their phones and drivers are taking their eyes off the road more frequently as a result. Nonetheless, adjusting the radio, applying makeup and eating or drinking non-alcoholic beverages while driving continue to distract drivers. These distractions, coupled with increased cell phone use while driving, has led to a major increase in auto accidents in Indiana.
Types of Auto Collisions
How vehicles collide has a big impact on the resulting damage to each vehicle, not to mention the potential for injury or even fatality.
- Head-on Collisions: These collisions occur when the front ends of two vehicles run into one another. Because of the compounded force of head-on collisions, they can be very serious, causing a great deal of injury and even death.
- Rear-end Collisions: Rear-end collisions happen when one auto crashes into the vehicle in front of it. Frequent causes for these types of accidents are distracted driving and inclement weather. They can also cause injury due to the “whiplash” effect.
- Side Impact Collisions: This kind of collision can also cause tremendous injury to either the driver or the passengers in the vehicle, depending on which side of the car is hit. It occurs when an auto is hit from the side by another vehicle or when there’s a collision with a tree, pole, highway barrier or other stationary object along the road. This type of accident is sometimes called a “T-bone” accident.
- Sideswipe Collisions: These collisions are just how they sound – when two vehicles come into contact in a parallel way. They tend to cause fewer injuries and less damage unless other factors are at play, such as rollovers, speeding, involvement of other vehicles or loss of driver control.
The True Cost of Auto Accidents
When an auto accident happens, those involved must concern themselves with many costs and losses beyond the obvious ones like repairs to a vehicle, medical bills, lost wages from missed work and other damages, including pain and suffering. The cost of a major accident can also include:
- In-home medical care for major injuries
- Medical mileage
- Compensation for services the injured person(s) can no longer complete, like childcare, yardwork or housework
- Out-of-pocket medical expenses not covered by insurance
- Vehicle or home modifications for serious injuries
- Wrongful death recompense
The auto and injury lawyers at Karpe Litigation Group are experts with years of experience in getting victims of auto accidents in Indiana the compensation they deserve. Call us at 1-888-228-7800 today or contact us to schedule an appointment for a free initial consultation to see how Karpe Litigation can make all the difference in your life after an auto accident.